9-Patch Blocks

21 comments
It seems like I'm always starting new projects but only finishing half of them.  And I'm always on a crusade to stop myself from doing this.  However, holidays approach, so be ware that there may be more of this bad quilting behavior.  So of course this means I've started a new project, yet again.
I do love 2.5" squares and patchwork.  I'm always excited about showing off fabric by just using squares.  It is the foundation of my quilt making/designing.  And I just can't help myself.  I love a nice 9-patch block.
I really like the idea of putting buttons in the middle of a 9-patch.  But I don't like buttons on bed quilts.  However, buttons are great on sample quilts, wall hangings or table runners.  This quilt is actually going to be a king-sized quilt and will hopefully be used.
I decided to use this fabric with faux looking button flowers.  I've just started making my blocks so I have quite a bit more work to do.  Back to cutting and sewing....

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

21 comments

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the idea of faux button centers. This is going to be so sweet.

*karendianne. said...

Great idea. Love it.

Darlene said...

Love your nine patches, Nanette. The buttons will add a special touch. Can't wait to see more.

antique quilter said...

nothing better then nine patch blocks! I never get tired of making them.

Dotty Dolly said...

Can`t wait to see what the finished quilt looks like. I too love squares and nine patch blocks! Joan

Dresden Quilter said...

I love this. I have a bunch of 9 patch blocks that I made waiting for me to turn them into a quilt.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I love nine-patchblocks. And I love buttons but the faux button idea will be perfect for a "going to be used King quilt"!

Lori Holt said...

I love me a nice 9 patch too Nanette.
Perfect in every way....you get to play with fabric...and different color combinations and the sewing is pretty much a no brainer so you can really enjoy a good movie or two at the same time.
I always love to see the new projects you are starting...we are all the same as quilters...so many projects...so little time...but so much fun!

AnnieO said...

9 patches are just so friendly and versatile--easy to love! Looks like you are playing with your favorite colors with these :)

Stitches said...

I love your first paragraph, it's me totally. I have friends that just shake their head at me when it comes to UFO's and subscribing to BOM's. I am really trying to rein myself in for a few months and get something finished. I love the 9-patchs that you are doing, those should be easy enough to finish up!! :-)

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

I love 9 patches, too! Inspires me to break out some vintage ones and get to work!!

Lynn said...

Boy, you and me both with the starting new projects (oops and only finishing half of them).It just means we are especially creative. I love the 9 patch. So clever to use that fabric for the middle. Is this quilt going to be all 9 patches, you can never go wrong with 9 patches.

Anonymous said...

I love 9 patch quilts, they look so homey and real to me.

pratima said...


the simplicity of nine patch blocks is perfect to showcase our favorite prints. i like your idea of faux buttons in the center... very cute, Nanette :)

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Is there really such a thing as bad quilting behaviour. I just presumed that unfinished projects came with the quilting territory.

Lurline said...

Another beautiful quilt about to evolve!
Hugs - Lurline.

TJ said...

Beautiful! I'm on the same crusade you are... trying to finish my UFOs!

Thimbleanna said...

Looks fun Nanette -- I do love a good nine-patch!!!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I know what you mean - those basic blocks are just the best, and it is well nigh impossible to stay away from new projects. That's what makes life interesting!

Cathy said...

Lovely fabrics! Nine patch blocks are wonderful!!

Jeanne said...

Sounds like a fun project! I love nine patches, too.