Fabric Friday - Tablecloths

21 comments
Years even before I started making quilts with relish I started a tablecloth collection. When I was growing up we only had a few tablecloths but I loved the ritual of taking the tablecloths out at holidays and setting the table with special dishes. I have 2 tablecloths from my mom (Freda) and they bring out wonderful memories when I get them out. Even the gravy stains are remembered. I thought I would show a few of my tablecloths from my small collection.
Most of you know I'm from Pennsylvania. I love everything PA Dutch. This is a table cloth I bought in the 80s while on a trip to Pennsylvania. I've never used this but I should.
My favorite hex sign is the clover. All hex signs have meaning. I'm not really sure what the clover means.
This is another PA Dutch table cloth - vintage. I purchased this one used/thrifted. The table cloth is full of PA Dutch (German) sayings. This one in the heart means "Home is where the heart is". I didn't take 13 years of German for nothing. Well from 4th grade to college. The sad thing is I really don't remember much.
You can see Fastnacht in the kitchen pic above. There are so many spellings for Fastnacht. They are delicious donuts made this time of year (was yesterday Fasnacht day?). We always celebrated it in Pennsylvania. The last one up on Fastnacht day was the loser. I don't know much more but they were delicious. If you are interested, here is the recipe for Fastnachts from the county where I grew up.
This is tablecloth I get out at Thanksgiving. The cloth is Early American but a little PA Dutch, too, I think.
I love the needle point look of it. This one is vintage, too.
This pink and navy cloth is vintage too with several stains and even a tiny hole. But I love it anyway. It is also a little harvest themed.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I cleaned my sewing room this week and I'm ready to sew and make it messy with projects.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

21 comments

em's scrapbag said...

Great old table clothes. The first one is my favorite.

Lori Holt said...

Hi Nanette..
I love vintage tablecloths too. You have a great collection. I know the one's from your mom are really a treasure. The Penn Dutch appeals to me too...it brings back lots of memories from my days there:)
I didn't know you spoke German!...or used to...lol.
What a smart BFF you are.
BTW, I'm totally jelous of your clean sewing room. I really need to get through the mess in mine!
Talk to you soon...
Lori

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Ah, memories. Growing up, if there was a tablecloth on the table, it was a special meal - sure to be full of good things to eat! And sometimes another tablecloth would be put over the whole meal (after clearing dirty dishes) and we'd go back later for seconds. Don't remember ever getting sick from it either. Maybe we were tougher back then. LOL

Three Birds Inspired said...

Fastnacht Day is Shrove Tuesday (day before Ash Wednesday) and it is on March 8th this year. (Just a little tidbit from here in PA Dutch Country!!)

Micki said...

I love your tablecloths. If I ever go back to PA, I will definitely get something from the Dutch Country. Joe and I honeymooned there before I moved to Ireland back in 1997.
Micki

Gayle said...

Your tablecloths are beautiful. I, too, collect vintage tablecloths and am drooling over your tablecloths from the Dutch Country. I'm so glad you shared these.

Elizabeth said...

They are great, Nanette. I love vintage linens, and I love having a tablecloth on the table. Thanks for sharing yours.

Susan said...

Your tablecloths are lovely. The one you said that had gravy stains made me think of one I have of my mom's, special aren't they. I recently found out that my dad was born in PA.

AnnieO said...

Thanks for showing these! I have a lot of vintage tablecloths--i.e. 50's era--from my MIL. She took amazing care of them and most are pretty pristine looking. I'm thinking of using a couple as a quilt backing...do you think that is sacrilegious, LOL?

Thimbleanna said...

Those are great Nanette! I love the Pennsylvania Dutch ones!

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

These are so much fun, Nanette! Makes me want to go dig mine out...

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Nanette, I love your PA Dutch tablecloth. We went to Pennsylvania once ten years ago. I brought home a tea towel with many of the same hex symbols on it. I still hope/plan to make a quilt with these symbols some day. Or at least an oak reel for my son:) Thanks for sharing. Love the yellow one too!

pratima said...

Nanette, you have a cute collection of table cloths. The colors are sure to cheer up the table setting instantly. Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures :-)

Theodora quilts said...

I sure enjoyed vewing your collection I just love vintage tablecloths and hankies or enything that is vintage and cloth with some interesting prints that depicts a culture or an era it is histoy in it's own.theodora

CreationsForEleanor said...

Love them! The first one totally makes you feel like you are back in PA...my Grandma had so many! At least you learned German...I used to just wonder what on earth my grandparents were saying, so wish I had learned.

Sherri said...

Love these tablecloths! My grandmother has some wonderful ones that she has saved for many years...they're fun to see!

Brenda said...

Love them and they should be used.

Messy Karen said...

whenever the family complains about holes & stains in their "old" tablecloths. i just grin and say "remember me when you're ready to get rid of it - i would love to have it".

gifu said...

next page replica gucci handbags special info best replica designer why not try these out replica louis vuitton

thethes said...

best replica ysl bags click here to investigate s2z50t1h61 replica bags in dubai this link o9y72o8l75 replica louis vuitton bags replica bags chicago replica bags uk helpful site o6v76c0u71 replica bags ebay

shatot said...

find out here d6p64w2m98 best replica bags online replica bags lv c2f04z4s49 see this page i5q37h9y61 Ysl replica handbags replica bags in china click here to find out more w1u43c5n27 fake louis vuitton replica bags ru s4k77i8h56